Our everyday choices – Lappset fights climate change
In order to curb climate change, we have taken action to reduce energy consumption and increase recycling. Here are a few of the measures that we have introduced at our Rovaniemi and Tallinn factories over the last few years.
- Since 2018, we have been gradually replacing our diesel forklifts with electric forklifts. Our entire forklift fleet will gradually be switched over to electric vehicles. This change will have a positive impact on ergonomics, comfort and indoor air at the factory, and will also reduce fuel consumption.
- Changes to internal logistics in production areas have reduced the distances that forklifts need to drive, for example, by locating the inspection area right next to reception. This also has a positive impact on the flow rate of components.
- Lighting has been updated in production and storage areas, and the number of these new LED lights will be gradually increased. Energy consumption is decreasing.
- The lighting in storage areas has been changed from on/off switches to motion detectors, which reduces electricity consumption. Lighting based on motion detectors will be introduced gradually.
- We have already been recycling pallets and plastic film packaging for several years.
- Our wood protection now uses boron-free substances.
- We have achieved a significant annual reduction in waste by using sedimentation to treat the wastewater that is generated when our wood production painting line is washed.
- Any surplus timber that is rejected during quality assurance is recycled by the City of Rovaniemi’s district heating facility next door, where it is used as heating energy for buildings.
- In July 2019, our Tallinn factory replaced its old ON-OFF cooling equipment with new inverter-based equipment. Our Estonian factory needs a great deal of cooling energy, and savings are being achieved via more accurate and optimised equipment control.
- We have switched to a zinc-free base coat in the powder coating of metal components. This means that any surplus powder can be recovered and reused in the painting process, thereby reducing waste.
- We have also replaced the radiant heaters in the powder coating oven with more energy-saving models.
12 interfaces with the UN’s global goals